Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Matt Damon are set to reunite for another Ocean’s movie 15 years after the last film, according to reports.
It had been originally declared that Ocean’s Thirteen, released in 2007, would be the last in the franchise – at least according to director Steven Soderbergh.
An all-female spin-off, Ocean’s Eight, was released in 2018, but was helmed by a different creative team, with Soderbergh reiterating that he would not be involved in the making of another Ocean’s film.
But it appears that, whether the original director returns or not, another Ocean’s sequel may well be on the way after all, Ocean’s Fourteen.
‘Rumours of a film starring George, Brad and Matt have swirled for years but the timing was off and their jam-packed schedules meant that it was just not possible,’ an insider source has said.
Talking to The Sun, the source continued: ‘Finally the right team for the job has come together in a bid to make it a huge success and the main stars thought it would be good fun to revisit.’
‘The franchise is hugely popular and the brilliant storyline was an opportunity that was too good to miss.’
The first Ocean’s movie, Ocean’s Eleven, was released in 2001 and became an instantly and immensely popular entry into the heist movie genre.
A sequel, Ocean’s Twelve, also directed by Soderbergh, was released in 2004, though the response – critically and commercially – was more muted.
A second sequel, Ocean’s Thirteen, received a positive response in 2007 and saw the completion of Soderbergh’s star-studded trilogy.
But would Soderbergh return for a third sequel, an Ocean’s Fourteen?
Speaking to Good Morning America in 2021, Damon, 51, said: ‘It would always be up to Steven Soderbergh if there was a story.’
Two of the original cast, Bernie Mac and Carl Reiner, have since died, which put any plans of another Ocean’s film on hold for a long time.
The news of a new Ocean’s project from the trio has come just days after it was announced that the release of Clooney’s new film, Ticket to Paradise, starring his Ocean’s co-star Julia Roberts, had been delayed by a week.
A spokesperson for Universal told Deadline: ‘With the passing of Her Majesty the Queen, [we] have decided to delay the opening of Ticket to Paradise in the UK until after the Queen’s funeral.’
The film will now be released on September 23.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.