Women ‘sexually assaulted in Queen queue by man who jumped in Thames’

TOPSHOT - Members of the public stand in the queue in Victoria Tower Gardens as they wait in line to pay their respects to the late Queen Elizabeth II, in London on September 15, 2022. - Queen Elizabeth II will lie in state until 0530 GMT on September 19, a few hours before her funeral, with huge queues expected to file past her coffin to pay their respects. (Photo by Odd ANDERSEN / AFP) (Photo by ODD ANDERSEN/AFP via Getty Images)

The alleged incidents took place in a section of the queue near Victoria Tower Gardens (Picture: AFP)

Two women were allegedly sexually assaulted as they waited to see the Queen’s coffin lying in state, a court has heard.

Adio Adeshine, 19, allegedly exposed himself to mourners stood near Victoria Tower Gardens on Wednesday evening, just after Westminster Hall opened its doors to the public.

He also allegedly touched the back of the two women.

The 19-year-old then leapt into the River Thames, a court heard today. He later emerged from the water and was arrested.

Adeshine was remanded in custody today after appearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court. He has been charged with two counts of sexual assault and two counts of breaching a sexual harm prevention order.

‘Just two days ago the defendant was part of the queue to see the resting in state of Queen Elizabeth II,’ said prosecutor Alex Alawode in court.

‘The defendant repeatedly followed one of the complainants.

‘The complainant believes he had pushed in the queue and noticed he kept getting close to her, which she found alarming.

The 19-year-old ‘went into the River Thames’ following the incidents (Picture: EPA)

‘By 7:30pm the defendant was getting closer to her. She believed he was touching her back and she described the defendant pushing into her.’

Adeshine then allegedly exposed his penis to a woman. She passed a note to her sister informing her of what had happened, the prosecution said.

Others in the queue then stood between them to create some distance between the complainant and the defendant, Mr Alawode added.

The court heard how Adeshine walked away from the group before allegedly carrying out the same behaviour towards a different woman.

Mr Alawode added: ‘The defendant was described as making attempts to get away. He went into the River Thames to evade the police before being arrested coming out of the river.’

Adeshine of Walworth denied two sexual assaults and two breaches of a court order at Westminster Magistrates Court today.

Adeshine will remain in custody until his next hearing date at Southwark Crown Court on 14 October.

Refusing to grant bail, Deputy District Judge Tan Ikram explained: ‘I have substantial grounds to believe that if released you have a substantial risk of reoffending.’

This is a breaking news story, more to follow soon… Check back shortly for further updates.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.